Saturday, November 24, 2018

Are You Crazy ? - A New Design Source

 
Are You Crazy ? - Design Source Found for Donkey Rider
While searching for the design source for several of the smaller motifs - I began to search ads as the most likely source, due to the size of the embroidery on the original piece, just around 2-inches or so.  In doing so, a lot of 'rider' images were found.  There were humans riding pigs, grasshoppers, mice, horses - but no donkey's at first).  With my time schedule in place, a decision was made to use the sword carrying mouse rider from 1884 on my piece - since there was already a donkey image, why have two. 
 
With the mouse underway, I finally found the Donkey and Rider design source - a mechanical toy made by Crandall's in the 1879-1880 time frame.  The mouse is staying, but wanted to share all 'the riders' found in my search.  
 


1 comment:

Cactus Pearl said...

for the wait for me. the source was a painting that was reproduced on trade cards
as an etching type drawing.
look for
Sophie Gengembre Anderson
wait for me:returning home from school

sorry for the repost i misspelled sophie's middle name.