Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Oscar Crazy Quilt

My "Oscar Crazy Quilt"

As I watch the snow fall (5-inches so far) - I figured I should finally post images of my "Oscar Crazy Quilt."  In trying to date the quilt, there were several hints on the quilt.  There is a ribbon (in top right image) indicating Oct 3, 1878 - a Soldiers Association in Bureau County.  John Cooper (OscarWildeInAmerica.Org) forwarded two newspaper clippings indicating that there was a reunion of the Bureau County Soldier's Association held in Princeton, Ill. on Oct 3, and that it was a glorious success.  Looks like the maker - or someone they new - was present at that celebration.  Of course there is Oscar and his beloved sunflowers - and he was on tour here in North America in 1882.  Now the motifs.

There is a girl playing with a hoop near a brick wall - that came out in Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine in February 1882.  The little girl with the umbrella and boy carrying his slate were also in the 1882 Godey's for May on page 467.  The Kate Greenaway girl feeding a bird - was in the January 1882 of Harper's Bazaar magazine.  It was also in the 1884 Ladies Fancy Work Manual, and in the follow-up editions.  There does not appear to be any "Stamping Catalogue" or "Stamping Outfit" images on the quilt - mostly from magazines and ads - leading me to suspect a pre-1884 date.

There is a floral applique very neatly blanket stitched on with very tiny stitches.  Appliques were offered at dry goods stores for the purpose of crazy quilts by at least 1884, if not earlier.  The girl (just below the ribbon) looks like it may have been inspired by the "Cuticura Remedies" ad that was in many periodicals of the day.

There is a small insert (red-dotted line) of a bird - it is the same pattern as the bird next to Oscar on my quilt.  Since there are two quilts with the same image - there has to be a source out there somewhere.  Hopefully I will find it.

With the clues I have assembled - the quilt was probably made in the early 1880s, possibly started earlier - but most definitely influenced by the aesthete Oscar Wilde's lecture trip to North America on Decorative Art in 1882.

Well, I must get some rest - there will be shoveling for me in the A.M. - my back hurts just thinking about it!

No comments: